St. Paul’s Free Clinic was established in 1993 by cofounder Dr. Vincent Jenco and a team of volunteers to provide free medical care to the qualified people of Erie and Erie County. The clinic was named St. Paul’s Free Clinic because of its location in Little Italy. The clinic does not have any affiliation with St. Paul’s Roman Catholic Church or any other religious denomination.
In 1993, the clinic started providing its free medical services in the church basement of St. Paul’s. After six months there, the clinic was moved to an apartment house at 16th and Walnut because more space was needed. The number of patients being seen at the clinic continued to grow, and in 1995, the board of directors decided to build the clinic where it stands today at 1608 Walnut Street.
At that time, the board of directors also decided to start providing free dental services in this same building. In 1996, the new clinic opened its doors to provide free medical care, and in the spring of 1997, the clinic began offering dental services.
Today the clinic continues to offer free medical and dental care to qualified patients.